Teacher composes the text with student support/input. Teacher models the writing process. The teacher provides the full support of the writing by demonstrating the process of putting the students' ideas into written language. Students participate by listening to the teachers thought process as she writes and provides input to the message. Shared writing is modeling the thought process involved in writing and allows students to engage in and focus on the process.
Why is it important?
- Reinforces and supports reading as well as writing
- Makes it possible for all students to participate
- Encourages close examination of texts, words, and options of authors
- Demonstrates the conventions of writing-spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Focuses on composing and leaves transcribing to the teacher